What skills do you need to become a Volunteer?
To be a volunteer it is important that you feel committed to the aims of Durham Tees Valley Probation Trust and have a genuine belief that people can change. You will also need to be reliable, punctual, open and honest, with an awareness of the issues facing offenders. Most importantly, you must be able to be a good role model to the offenders that are working with Durham Tees Valley Probation Trust.
- A volunteer must also be able to:
- Handle difficult and challenging situations appropriately
- Use excellent communication skills
- Establish supportive working relationship with offenders
- Respect and respond to the diverse needs of the people with whom we work
- Be a positive role model to offenders
- Respect the need for confidentiality
- Work individually and as part of a team
- Share any concerns with that you may have about an offender with the Offender Manager
It is an expectation that Probation Trust volunteers will be available for at least one morning or afternoon per week during normal office hours.